A few years ago people didn’t think much about their privacy when going online. Now in the light of new events, more of us know that every time we use the Internet, we share some personal information: IP address, full name, address, credit card information, etc. Unless you protect it, some hackers or identity thieves can steal it and use for their advantage. Let’s find out how VPN can help you prevent this sort of situations.
Top benefits to experience when using VPN
In case you don’t know, VPN is a Virtual Private Network. It exists to protect the user’s online activity and help him/her keep it private. There are many advantages to using this technology. Some benefits include:
- Increased level of security. Any online activity is the exchange of information. VPN encrypts the information sent from your PC. This means that even if hackers steal it, they won’t get the data but just a code which doesn’t make sense.
- Remote control. This advantage is great for some companies that have employees working from another place. For instance, if you work from home, you can use a VPN to access the company’s system.
- File sharing. It is also mostly used by companies in addition to the benefit mentioned above.
- Anonymity. Since VPN hides your IP address, the activity can’t be traced back to you. As a result, you’ll be able to stay anonymous and unattached to your real address. Mind that some services don’t hide the address but simply substitute it with another address that belongs to their servers.
- No geo-limits. If you need to visit a website which cannot be accessed from your country, you can use the technology to get the IP you need. The removal of this limit also often concerns online shopping, social media, torrenting, apps for streaming like Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Free and paid VPN providers
While the advantages of the service are clear and very alluring, there is a lot to learn about the companies that give you these opportunities. You must realize that there are free and paid versions. Since you care about your privacy, it’s safer to buy the service.
You should take a closer look at one of the leaders in the industry. It’s the Hotspot Shield. The best thing about this company is the chance to start from a free version and upgrade if needed. They both deliver excellent protection but a free option is limited. Yet, it may be enough for basic online browsing or just to decide if it’s worth the money.
Another very popular option will be ExpressVPN. Just like its competitor, there are 2 versions available for you to choose from. You can get a free extension with a limited number of features. It’s more than enough to unlock some websites. In case you need more, you can upgrade in a couple of clicks.
If the company offers only free VPN services, you should probably be a little concerned. Maintaining servers all over the world just to give you the opportunity to use it for free seems to perfect. Think where they get the needed money. Maybe it’s just a scam to get your data and sell it to the third-party company?
The best choice you can make
You need to decide first if you really need a VPN. If yes, just get a reliable and trustworthy provider and enjoy your privacy.